You are here:

Frequently Asked Questions - Training courses

What is the difference between the 1-day course and the 3-day course?

The 1-day (Emergency First Aid at Work) course is for low risk environments such as offices and small shops, whereas the 3-day (First Aid at Work) course is for more high risk environments such as warehousing with heavy machinery or construction sites.

What is the 2-day course for?

The 2-day (First Aid at Work Requalification) course is for training course attendees whose original 3-day (First Aid at Work) course certificate or previous 2-day (Requalification) course certificate is due to expire/has expired.

My certificate has expired, can I still take the 2-day Requalification course?

Yes, delegates can take the 2-day Requalification course even if their original certificate has expired. It is best practice for delegates to renew their certificates before their current one runs out so that their First Aider status is still valid, but if that is not practical then as long as they can prove they’ve trained previously, they can attend the 2-day requalification. If there is a significant period since their previous certificate expired, we would always advise that the full 3-day course is undertaken again.

What if my 1-day certificate has expired?

If a delegate’s 1-day (Emergency First Aid at Work) course certificate is due to or has expired, the delegate simply attends an Emergency First Aid at Work (1-day) course again to receive a new St John Ambulance certificate that is valid for a further three years.

I’m booking online, can I pay by invoice?

If you are a company we can send you an invoice where you will have 30 days terms (or before the course start date – whichever is first) to arrange payment for the course. Please proceed to checkout as if you were going to pay by card and you will see an option that says ‘I am unable to pay by card today’. Click that and you will receive an invoice via email.

N.B. If you are booking as an individual then unfortunately we do require a credit or debit card payment at the time of  booking.

Why do you charge transfer fees?

Our transfer and cancellation fees are in place to protect the charity. We are a ‘not-for-profit’ organisation and funds raised through commercial bookings help support our charitable and community output.

Can an individual who is unable to speak English become a first aider in the workplace?

Ultimately, employers are responsible for ensuring that any first aiders they provide in their workplace are suitably trained and competent to perform their role. In proposing to use non-English speaking first aiders, the employer should consider how they will be able to communicate effectively with those at an incident, as well as with the emergency services, if needed. Before First Aid at Work training, it would be useful for the employer to have discussions with us about any arrangements that might be needed, for example, an interpreter to help with the training. In addition, the employer should make sure all employees are informed of the first aid arrangements.

Can someone with a temporary physical impairment undertake First Aid at Work training and become a first aider in the workplace?

In situations where employers inform us that an employee attending an First Aid at Work/Emergency First Aid at Work course has a temporary physical impairment, it may be sensible to advise them to defer training until the individual is fit. If this is not possible and the student has a temporary physical impairment, affecting for example mobility, we can temporarily accommodate this during training. For example, a knee injury may prevent CPR training as the person is unable to kneel on the floor, so the training could be delivered at waist height. However, the final assessment must still be conducted at floor level.

Can someone with a disability undertake First Aid at Work training and become a first aider in the workplace?

The HSE receives a significant number of enquiries about the suitability of people with a disability to become first aiders. It is for employers to decide, as part of their first aid needs assessment, whether a particular individual will be able to undertake the role of first aider in the workplace. They will need to be capable of performing all aspects of First Aid at Work in accordance with their training.

Similarly, we need to be satisfied that a candidate has demonstrated all competencies to a satisfactory standard to issue them with a First Aid at Work certificate.

What if I arrive late for my course?

Due to regulatory requirements for minimum training contact hours, any student who arrives more than 20 minutes late on a 4 hour course, or more than 35 minutes late on any course, or part of a course of a longer duration, cannot complete the course.

Can I get a copy of my old certificate?

Yes. If your course was booked by your employer, then they can request a duplicate copy of your certificate on your behalf. If you have since left that company, your previous employer would still need to be them that requests a copy for you.

If you require a duplicate postal copy of a certificate that has already been sent out, there will be a charge of £15.00+VAT.

How many First Aiders/Fire Marshals do I need?

While we can advise how many Fire Marshals and First Aiders our customers should have we can’t legally say a set amount. This is down to each company’s own risk assessment to establish their exact need. What we would recommend is that you have at least one First Aider/Fire Marshal for the following:

Per shift pattern
Per floor
Per zone
Per area that takes longer than one minute to walk from one end to the other (and then repeat to cover annual leave and holidays)

For more information use our Requirements Calculator.

What is the difference between Workplace-Training courses and Community courses?

Workplace-Training courses are usually courses specifically for paid employed adult delegates who will be becoming the First Aider within their workplace. These courses are usually taught to strict guidelines set by governing bodies such as the HSE and OFSTED. Community courses are usually targeted towards volunteers, students or members of the public who wish to receive general knowledge of a subject for peace of mind or for voluntary community projects.

If you still can't find what you're looking for, contact us directly. Please email

Help us get the important things right and give us your feedback

We value your feedback, by learning from your experiences and working to resolve any challenges, we can continue to make positive improvements to the quality of our services. To ensure that we manage your feedback appropriately, please tell us if you are one of the following:

Patient or their representative

Patient or their representative

Members of the public

Members of the public

Fundraiser or supporter

Fundraiser or supporter

National Feedback Policy

We are committed to improving the quality of our services, by learning and acting on feedback from our customers, patients, supports and members of the public. Take a look at our National Feedback Policy for more information.

Can't find what you're looking for?

If you can't find what you're looking for in our FAQ's, give us a call

General enquiries

08700 104950 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) Calls cost 2p per minutes plus your phone company's access charge.

National Headquarters

0207 324 4000 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm)

Training course enquiries

0844 770 4800 (Mon-Fri 8:30am-5:30pm) Calls cost 7p per minutes plus your phone company's access charge.