You are here:

What is Gift Aid?

Gift Aid logo

Increase your donations without it costing you a penny!

If you apply Gift Aid to your donation, for every £1 you kindly give to us, we could claim 25p more through the Gift Aid Scheme. That means a donation of £20 is worth £25 to us.

Frequently asked questions

What do I need to do to add Gift Aid my donation?

All you need to do is tick the Gift Aid declaration box when you donate online or complete this form when you donate by post.

What is Gift Aid?

Gift Aid is a government scheme that lets us reclaim basic rate tax on all gifts given by taxpayers – even better news, we can claim back for the last four years!

Donating through Gift Aid means charities and community amateur sports clubs (CASCs) can claim an extra 25p for every £1 you give. It won’t cost you any extra.

Am I eligible?

Your donations will qualify as long as they’re not more than four times what you have paid in tax in that tax year (6 April to 5 April). The tax could have been paid on income or capital gains tax. You must tell the charities you support if you stop paying enough tax. Other taxes such as VAT and council tax do not qualify.

What if I’m a pensioner?

You need to be a UK taxpayer in order for us to claim Gift Aid on your donation. If you pay UK income or capital gains tax, we can claim Gift Aid. If you do not pay UK income tax or capital gains tax, we are unable to claim Gift Aid and you should not complete the Gift Aid declaration.

Can I change my mind?

Yes – you can change your mind by writing to us to withdraw your declaration or phone us on 0114 238 7360 to let us know that we should no longer use your declaration.

What if I’m a higher rate tax payer?

Whether you are a higher rate or a basic rate taxpayer does not change the amount of Gift Aid that we can claim in relation to your donation. If you pay income tax at the higher or additional rate and want to receive the additional tax relief due to you, you must include all your Gift Aid donations on your Self Assessment tax return or ask HMRC to adjust your tax code.

You should know that...

You should be aware that if the total of Gift Aid that has been claimed by charities on the donations you have made in a tax year is greater than the total amount of eligible tax that you have paid, HMRC may ask you to pay the difference.

Further information

For further information or advice please call us on 0114 238 7360 and we’ll be glad to help.