Jack Lyon from Lancashire
‘I didn’t realise just
how important the first aid skills I learnt as a Cadet were until
my dad needed urgent first aid help in July 2011. He has
an illness called myasthenia gravis which means that his immune
system attacks itself. One of the symptoms is muscle weakness
around the face and throat.
After a bad throat infection my dad was having trouble
swallowing and couldn’t eat very well. My mum made bananas and
custard but my dad started struggling to breathe.
When I realised that he was choking I shouted for my mum
and then bent my dad over and gave him some hard slaps on the
back. On the fourth slap, a slice of banana shot out and
my dad took a huge breath.
I realised that we could have lost my dad that day and
basic first aid skills had saved his life.’